Sunday, January 8, 2012

Coming Out

I figured that the first blog about me taking off my mask would be about the long road I have been on to try to come to terms with my own sexuality; the fact that I am gay.

My hero growing up wasn’t my father; it wasn’t my two older brothers. My hero growing up was my oldest sister, Lisa. She is 9 years older than me and I wanted to be just like her. She is the one that taught me how to ride a bike. She is the one that would teach me to dance and to teach me the little gymnastics she knew herself. I loved my oldest sister and she was my idol.


When I was a young child I remember feeling like I was able to be myself, which was such an amazing feeling to have. As I started to get a little older I started to get made fun for the way that I acted, for the games that I played, and for the fact that I really liked fashion. I hid the fact that I would listen to the Backstreet Boys and Brittany Spears because that wasn’t “manly.” So in order to fit in with other boys my age I felt like I had to put on a mask. I tried my hardest to just fit in and that way no one would see who I really was. I soon realized that it was just easier to be around girls. I felt like I was able to be more of myself around girls.

At the age of about 15 or 16 I started having these feelings that I didn’t really understand. So I just ignored them. As I grew older I started to realize what I was feeling, but I had been taught my whole life the condemnation that comes with having same sex attraction. Not only was it against everything I was taught, but I knew how the society as a whole thought about it. So I would deny the feelings that I was having. I convinced myself that I was straight. That I liked girls and that was that.

After returning home from my mission I found out that my oldest sister, my hero growing up, had left the church. She read a book disclaiming the history of the church and her and her husband stopped believing in the church. I had a very hard time with this. I really struggled with the fact that my idol wasn’t in the church any longer. I remember hearing that my sister would not make it to heaven, because she went on a mission and was married in the temple and now she has left the church. I refused to believe this, because she is one of the most Christ-like people I know. So for over the course of a couple years I pondered what I really believed. This was something that took years of wondering and praying and crying to realize I didn’t believe everything the church taught.

At the age of about 24 I realized that I had to stop fighting the feelings that I was having. I was attracted to guys, but I still wasn’t able to admit it out loud or even to other people for the fear of what they might think of me. I was afraid that my family and friends wouldn't understand that they would stop loving me. One day in November I felt like I had to tell someone else about me. It was eating me up so much inside that I just felt like I needed to tell at least one person. I decided I would e-mail my Aunt Linda. I remember writing the e-mail with this panic that she would be horrified once she found out about me. My hands were shaking and I couldn’t stop myself from crying while I wrote her this e-mail about my same sex attraction. Her response was one of such love and acceptance that I was relieved, I finally had someone that knew and that still loved me anyway. It has taken me over the course of 3 years to come out slowly to my family and friends and it is still an ongoing process. I still fear the worst when I tell someone new about my sexual orientation.


When I started coming out I would mainly tell others that I was bisexual. I have tried to convince myself my whole life that I am still attracted to females. Even after I knew I liked men I CONVINCED myself that if I found a hot enough girl that I would still be sexually attracted to her and I honestly believed it too. I wanted to believe it so much because then I felt like I wouldn’t be so “messed up.” All I ever hear is that being gay isn’t natural, and maybe it isn’t natural, but that is why I tried to fight my urges so much.

This has been a long road and LOTS of tears have been shed over trying to come to terms with WHO I AM! People can say that being gay is a choice, but unless they have struggled with it for years and years I wouldn’t expect any of them to understand or really know the reasons behind why people are gay.

Bottom line is that my sexuality doesn’t define who I am. I am still the same Kevin I have always been, regardless of who I chose to be with. I am finally coming to grips with this fact…

9 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be nice if it didn't take such bravery for being yourself? People think I'm brave for my shoe choices, and I think that is the easiest form of bravery. Keep it up! There has been lots of progress made by others for you to enjoy the freedom you enjoy now, and your bravery makes it even easier for the next person down the road. Keeping that mask on is like killing yourself slowly. Love you, Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that if people don't like you for who you really are them they're not worth it... If they truly love and care for you, being gay won't matter to them. They'll be more appreciative because you were honest with them, you let them know who you really are. And if you stumble across those who don't like it and turn away then that's their problem. They're missing out on a pretty awesome friend! I'm so glad you're starting to open up more about it. For realizing this is who you are, you can't change it. Embrace it! You have to be comfortable to be yourself before you can expect others to be comfortable with it. Love you to death Kevin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your last two sentences. I remember when you told me, and guess what? It didn't change who you were, and it didn't change our friendship or even what I thought of you. It was just another part of you that you shared with me. And even knowing now... I don't think about it every time I see you. It doesn't define you, it's not all that you are. You're still my friend Kevin that loves tennis and volleyball and we endured Bri and Login together. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, I do realize how people have made progress for me to enjoy what I enjoy. I will do my part to make it easier for the next person that is struggling.

    Kirstie, Thanks for what you said. It really has been something I have been working on is just being me regardless. It is just so against what I have been doing for my whole life so it is hard for me.

    Cindi, Thanks for your kind comments. You have been a great friend for me and someone I can vent to at work. Yes, we both were able to endure Bri and Log-in together. That department was easier to handle with you there. Now we are both on to better places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I also wanted to say I love you all. You all have been so great! Thanks for everything you guys have done for me! LOVE YA!

    Linda, I love your blog. It is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so proud of you Kevin. This is such a huge step to take, putting your true feelings and emotions out there. You still are and have always been the same Kevin that I adore -- and I will always love you and cherish our friendship.

    I look forward to reading your blog. It is liberating isn't it? I am proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your amazing!!! And brave!!!! Do not ever change that ;]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rebecca and Natalie! This has been VERY liberating and I am so happy I finally have been able to come out about these things! It has been very therapeutic. You are both so great and thanks so much for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaw, Kevin what a great idea to self discovery....a blog about being yourself, taking off the mask. Which I must say most of us have masks of our own and it takes awareness and courage to keep the masks off. Keep it up! I am proud of you and so glad you are my brother. (And I"ve always trusted you with my kids :) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete